Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Step 1: Improving My Body - Physically

I spoke yesterday about starting my quest to become nutritionally fit and the importance of a fit body. Hand-in-hand, a fit body must also be one that is active and strong. The importance of physical fitness for overall health can't be emphasized enough. Regular exercise will efficiently burn calories, keep your weight under control, maintain the performance of our lungs, improve muscle strength, increase joint flexibility and improve endurance.

Any physical activity is better than none but the most benefit will come from a warm up of about 5-10 minutes - performing stretches to increase flexibility and increase blood flow and prepare your body for action. Completing a good cardio program that is approximately 20-30 minutes in length and then finishing with a cool down and stretch for 5-10 minutes.

You have to find a place that works for you and some people prefer going to a gym but I have started a workout routine in the comfort of my own home. Thanks to the Internet, I am able to follow an instructor that can take me through stretches that work my upper, lower body and core areas and then I choose one of my favourite Zumba class videos or any fitness class on YouTube and not only do I get a great workout but you can learn some dance moves as well. I finish things off with a cool down and a short Yoga program is perfect for this. By the end, my body feels alive and my spirit feels at peace - perfect way to start my day!

Exercise is also known to boost your brainpower. There is new evidence showing that there are cognitive improvements as a result of increased blood flow to the brain and the greater the blood flow, the faster the oxygen and other important nutrients can reach nerve cells. Other studies show that physical exercise helps increase overall happiness and can relieve symptoms of depression, stress and anxiety. This is a great segue into tomorrows post on "Improving the Mind". We have an incredible power in the way we think  - Your Thoughts Create Your Reality!




There are so many benefits to exercise that you can't afford to keep putting it off and not making it a priority. The time and effort is so worth the benefits and YOUR BODY will thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment